Friday, May 27, 2011

The (other) babe.

After looking through my blog and noticing the endless posts about LAF I figured I better devote some space to talking about the second addition to the family.

This pregnancy (not unlike my first) has been pretty easy. I am cruising along now at 27 weeks (28 on Sunday). He moves a ton and is comfortable sitting right under my rib cage. Between my mom and my mom-in-law we almost have an entire ward robe for this little guy....which is so fun! I like to leave my favorite onsie out to make it feel more real. =)

As far as names go Lincoln and I have a list and from that list we have a few favorites. Lincoln is pretty much set on one...but I'm still not sure. I am hoping as soon as we see this little guy we will know.

I can't believe we only have close to 12 weeks left! I have made multiple lists of things I still need to buy and do before the baby comes. I cannot wait till I can get close enough to actually start washing clothes and packing our hospital bag.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get an epidural this time. With Livvy it was all-natural and it was quite the experience (as my sister/doula Veronica will attest). Most people act like I'm crazy to consider it natural again, but I think I will decide when I'm in labor. I am just really freaked out about the needle and the numbness that comes with the epidural. Any thoughts? I've heard so many different stories about epidurals, I welcome any insights my veteran moms have. =)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an epidural with Hazel and I honestly remember wanting to kiss the anesthesiologist after he put it in. I was dilated to 7cm when I got it so I had gotten to some pretty painful contractions. Really, the only part you feel is when they give you a shot to numb the skin. After that I didn't feel the rest and within 10 minutes I was completely pain free. My legs were slightly numb but I could still move them, feel pressure, etc. It actually wears off really fast after the baby is born so by the time they were done with all the after birth stuff and I'd fed Hazel, I was able to stand up to use the bathroom (the nurse did come with me).

The only cons for me were:
My labor seemed to slow down after I got the epidural but it's hard to tell if that was because of the epidural or not. I did need a tiny bit of Pitocin to get it going again. Also, my bill! You'll pay the anesthesiologist as much or a bit more as your OB which shocked me since he was there maybe 15 minutes total. You're welcome to call me if you want more info:)

Chris and Christina said...

you know i've never delivered....yet.... and am most worried about that darn epidural needle. it's a doozie if i ever saw one. but from the majority of people's opinions and experiences have led me to believe that i will most likely request one. however, since you have gone without one before, i would just keep an open to both ideas (natural vs. epidural) and do what you feel and want is best when the time comes. this labor will be much shorter, since you could go from a 5 to 10cm very fast unlike the first. i can't believe you are 28 weeks tomorrow already! where has the time gone. can't wait to get these little boys out :)

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

I had a fantastic experience both times I got the epidural!

I'm so excited for you!

Brie said...

I got one (and eventually had a cesarean) but will try again without it next time. Despite having had horrendous back labor for 2 days, I still didn't WANT it, I just thought that it was my last chance to try to relax and dilate and give birth vaginally. I've heard stories (like my sister's) of it only working on one side which sounds like a nightmare, or wearing off early (and then it's supposed to be worse because you aren't making the natural pain reliever or whatever), or getting the spinal headache and not being able to leave your bed for weeks because of the pain (among the other risks, which totally freak me out). I've also heard stories of how wonderful it was and how it made the birth beautiful for that mom. Most natural births lead to a faster recovery as well, according to my family/friends that experienced both. But, I plan on making that decision once I'm in labor, as it sounds like you will too. Moms always make the best decisions!

I can't wait to move out there and have Claire play with Livvy and meet the boy!

Katie and joe said...

pretty sure you know how i feel about it :) i think you are so brave to go through it without it, especially because it really was so hard for you. if you are worried about the needle, just don't look! and have someone to talk to you the whole time he is doing it. my nurse the second time around was AMAZING at distracting me. the tiny prick of pain is sooooo worth the relief.

honestly for me, i was aware and totally there the whole time. i was able to focus more on what was going on instead of getting through the pain.

either way, you rock. my guess is that because its the second time around, you won't need it. can't wait to meet the new little one!

Rachel Allen said...

Epidural = wonderful. Enjoy having a baby instead of feeling like you're going to die. (That's my opinion).

Debbie said...

First experience with the epidural was just OK. I had it take only on one side. 2nd time was WONDERFUL. I was comfortable and able to chat with family right up until "the big moment." It's really whatever you feel comfortable with. The needle really wasn't a big deal, and heck, if you can go natural, you can handle the epidural needle. ;)

Heidi said...

I LOVED my epidural. It took away the pain, but I could still feel the pressure and the tightening of the contractions. The labor was great, and I liked being able to focus on just hanging out with Jake while we waited instead of working through any pain.