Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

And we're back. We had a ton of fun in Disneyland and if I had any energy right now I'd download a few pics, but I'm not going to. Sorry Charlie, Disneyland post will have to wait.

Tonight we had FHE about setting goals (and about folding our arms-Liv's FHE lesson). It made me think about our first time making goals.

A few weeks before the wedding, Lincoln suggested that we each write down some individual and family goals that we had and we could share them before the wedding. Days before the big day Lincoln and I sat on the old couch in my brothers' bedroom to talk and set goals. I grabbed my paper which included the following goals: 1) Graduate college 2) Have as many kids as I can 3) See my family at least once a year.

Check off the first one, still working on the second and definitely fullfilled that last one every single week.

After reading my list of 10-15 items, Lincoln smiled. He then proceeded to pull out a 3 page, typed, subcategorized goal list. The subcategories include: Daily, Monthly, 1 Year, 5 Year, 10 Year Goals, Family Goals, Fun Goals, Goals about Children, and Others.

Enter red faced-embarrassed me and sweetly smiling Lincoln. Man, I loved that kid at that moment. I knew he had seen past the wedding craziness and into a future with me. All I was thinking about was flowers and when I was going to get the bridesmaid's gifts.

Three years later, and looking back on this list of goals (which is my journal), we have probably fullfilled a hand full. But as I read through this list of goals tonight I realize that sometimes goal setting isn't about finishing each goal, but it's about trying to make yourself better. It's about new beginnings like a new marriage or a new year. We can start by trying and thinking and hoping.

So, for 2011 I'm going to start by working on this three-page goal list to a happier future. =)

2 comments:

sky machines said...

Ha I love "fun goals" - Lincoln is hilarious. Happy New Year to you and your awesome family!

Jenae said...

Vindie, sometimes it frightens me how similar our husbands are. That is totally like Clayton. Truthfully though, like you, I am grateful to have someone who wants to become better, and who wants to make the best of life. Happy New Year!