Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Distraction.

We started sleep training Livvy tonight. She is in her crib screaming right now. She has those crying hiccups. I hate those. I didn't want to do the Ferber method. I wanted to try a non-cry-out method. I don't think that crying it out is good for a baby. I am out of options though. She has been staying up really late and waking up a ton. She takes over the bed and refuses to sleep in her crib.

She seems to calm herself down, but then immediately after we leave the room or stop patting her back she is back to her "mad" scream. I just keep telling myself that we are helping her develop her "self-soothing". Part of me wonders if the cry-it-out method is just having your baby cry so hard and long that they pass out. I normally just nurse Liv to sleep and lay her down next to me. It seems like that is a lot more natural then leaving her to sleep on her own.

I'm going to give this whole thing a few days. If she doesn't start calming down then I think I'll try something else. Can you tell I am really not liking this? Everyone has told me to be strong through the crying nights...so here is me trying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

M had the same problem where she wouldn't sleep in her crib - so Iined her crib with one of my dirty (milky-smelling) sheets - and she bought it! Good luck... that is so tough! :(

Kelli Nicole said...

I know I don't have kids, but I have heard from several people that The No Cry Sleep Solution is a really good book, so maybe you could rent it at a library or something and see if anything in there works! Good luck with everything you do!! (And Amanda's trick sounds great! I've never thought or heard of that).

Debbie said...

I'm so sorry Vindie. Those are tough days. I did a similar thing with getting Toby use to the crib except I put either the shirt I was wearing that day in there or some used nursing pads and it did seem to help. And I had Toby play and take all his naps in his crib too so he felt more comfortable there. As for the "crying-it-out" method, I wasn't a fan either and so I tried EVERYTHING else (even read the "No-Cry sleep solutions book) and nothing worked so I resorted to letting him cry it out at a whopping 10 months of age. And I actually went against the sleep training books and nursed Toby to sleep every night and littered his crib with pacifiers because it was so comforting to him and actually helped him sleep better. But if he woke up after I put him down, I just didn't go in there because I found that it actually aggravated him more. Bottom line, do what feels comfortable for you. And pray. I will be praying for you too! Its probably THE hardest thing to endure as a mom.

Rachel Allen said...

Good luck! It is so hard to let them cry it out. You definitely have to find something that works for you.